The Friends of HMS Conway was formed in 1996 to preserve the memory of the training school ship HMS Conway through the acquisition, maintenance and display of artefacts and memorabilia connected with the ship and the later shore establishment.
Our first task was to establish the wonderful memorial chapel and museum in the Scriptorium in Birkenhead Priory, overlooking the ship’s old mooring in the Sloyne at Rock Ferry on the Mersey. Since then we have transformed the building with a number of impressive “stained glass” memorial windows and the ship’s original Memorial and Honours Boards. We have also completed numerous projects around the UK to preserve the good name of HMS Conway, the most recent being the installation of a memorial ‘window’ at Plas Newydd, Ynys Mon covering the ship’s time there from 1949 to 1974.
Capt Derrick Kemp (Old Botha), Chairman, The Friends of HMS Conway